MGSLG was established in 2002 and launched in 2003 with the vision of becoming the leading school governance and leadership development institute. The organisation adjusted its mission to “provide developmental programmes to enhance competence for effective learning in schools”. It set out to do this by developing and delivering support programmes and products for effective learning to Gauteng’s district officials, educators, school management teams, School Governing Bodies (SGBs) and Representative Council for Learners (RCL) members.
The GDE took a conscious decision to create MGSLG as a Non-Profit Company (previously known as Section 21 Company in terms of the Old Companies Act 61 of 1973), to achieve the following, among other things:
- A partner that could research to inform capacity-building initiatives and alternatives for the GDE
- Quick turn-around in the planning and implementation of capacity-building programmes.
- Value for money in ensuring focused attention and impact in the schools, through targeted training.
- Professional and dedicated capacity for programme implementation.
- Provision to GDE of the necessary capacity as an external resource that understands the GDE imperatives.
MGSLG’s founding goal was to research, develop and deliver cutting-edge capacity-building programmes in the areas of school management, leadership and governance in Gauteng Province.